- It is clean! Solar energy is the cleanest renewable/alternative energy to fossil fuels (which currently pollute our air and water, harm our health, and contribute to global warming).
- It is much safer! It is less likely to lead to negative environmental impacts such as that of hydro, nuclear, natural gas, or coal.
- It is healthier! Sun is the source of life. As long as one doesn’t look directly at the sun or be exposed to it for significant duration when UV index is above the range of 0-1, statistics had indicated that sufficient and right amount of exposure to sun is actually beneficial for our health. Insufficient exposure to sunshine would contribute to higher incidence of breast cancer, colon cancer, prostate cancer, ovarian cancer, heart disease, diabetes, multiple sclerosis, tooth decay, and psoriasis, as indicated in the book The Healing Sun (Sunlight and Health in the 21st Century) (Hobday, 2004).
- It is readily available! Sun has been around for a long time and no one particular group or nation has ownership to it. Therefore, the use of solar energy will be less likely to be subjected to fluctuating raw material cost or be at risk of any war among nations due to rival for this source of energy. Last but not least, Sun will be around for a long long long time….
- Its sense of timing! The peak demand time for energy use usually coincides with the peak performance efficiency of sun’s energy. Perfect!
- There are fewer moving parts involved in solar powered systems and therefore would operate at a lower maintenance cost.
Posted by sunisthefuture-Susan Sun Nunamaker